Friday, August 22, 2008

peircings and parents

I have 5 piercings. the normal old holes in the ear lobes that i have had since i was 6 weeks old, 2 cartilage piercings on my left ear and a curved industrial in my right ear. Aside from the holes in my head, I am a cargo short wearing, Life is Good addict, pho-hawk sporting, Birkenstock wearing kind of mama.

Today we went to the doctor for C & D. While sitting there in the waiting room this gentleman sat down next to us and Con remarked "wow you have a lot of holes in your face, my mommy is a doctor she can fix them". [note: mommy gave Con stitches about 8 months ago] The man turned and said no i like the holes in my head, but thanks for the offer. He was so overly polite, and patient with my nosy 5 y/o . This mother on the other side of the room huffed, and shook her head in disapproval. [this from the mother that had no control over her 2 children, while my 5 i had with me sat in seats and munched some goldfish]

At the end of our appointment we ended up back in the waiting room, waiting on scripts, with the same polite, hole bearing, gentleman. His daughter [3 y/o] sat very nicely in the chair, and i remaked about how polite and nice they both were. He said thank you and then cracked a joke about how that other mom was so worried about her image, that her kids were turning out to be animals. With that her two sons came flying back into the waiting room wrestling, and managed to knock my stroller over [thank God i was holding R], break a chair, and kick a little girl in the leg. The mother didn't even look, she just kept chatting on her phone, and telling the nurse that the doctors office should do for her, she should not do for them. as she walked out the door her boys ran behind screaming as if she were going to leave them there.

This really made me realizes where my priorities were. My kids wrestle at home, not to the point of breaking things, but there is a time and a place for almost everything.

Then driving back through Philly I saw a bumper sticker on a car in front of us that said "Piercings don't define the Parent", then stopped a a traffic light i realized it was our hole filled daddy. I really am still amazed by just how superficial many people in our area are!

1 comment:

ctaci said...

Hey - saw you over at Dottis. I just wanted to comment that I have lots of piercings, a large 1/2sleeve tattoo, and my current hair color is atomic pink and black. When the kids arent with me a lot of other mothers like to tell me how it will be when I have kids. Also, when I just have the baby they like to tell me what it will be like when he gets older (my other is 10). Its really off putting that people look at a person and assume things. Though, my kids are out of control so I guess I give us modified people a bad name huh? ;)